What to wear for maternity photos | Little Lamb Photography
Ottawa & Gatineau Maternity Photographer
What to wear for maternity photos by Little Lamb Photography. Can I just start by stating that I love, love, love shooting maternity photos? I don’t shoot studio style maternity photos because I’m a natural light photographer. As a natural light photographer, I love shooting outdoors in beautiful locations. My pregnancy photo sessions are shot outdoors all year round. It doesn’t matter if it’s winter, spring, summer or fall. Why? Because each season has its own beauty to offer. Honestly, you just need to dress for the weather–especially for winter and fall photos. Many couples don’t know what to wear for their maternity photos. I wanted to be as helpful as possible to my maternity clients. So, I made a post to help you with what to wear for maternity photos.
Advice for all maternity photo sessions:
- Don’t wear sweaters that have lint balls on them. They REALLY show in the photos.
- Old or dirty shoes look terrible in photos.
- Women: dress shoes, nice sandals or boots look classy. Have your toenails painted if you’re wearing open toe shoes.
- Men: dress shoes or loafers look best. Avoid wear running shoes. Khakis or nice jeans with a button up shirt of polo shirt look great for men. For fall, a vest or nice blazer are perfect touches.
- Your hands will be showing for the belly poses, so make sure your nails look nice.
- Accessories: Beautiful earrings, rings, necklaces or bracelets will add pretty touches.
- Wear classy, dressy clothes. If you’re paying to have your photos taken it’s best to invest in how you look.
- Please, no writing or large logos on clothing as it’s too distracting in the photos. Simple patterns or plain colours are best.
- Either shop for new outfits for your photo session OR wear new clothing that hasn’t been worn much yet.
- Women, have your hair & makeup done so that you look your best (even if you do it yourself).
- If you have pets at home, bring a lint brush in order to get rid of dog or cat hair.
Get a manicure so that your nails look good for the belly shots.
Coordinate your outfit with your partner’s, but DO NOT match exactly.
Spring Maternity Photos:
Spring is so beautiful with the gorgeous apple and cherry blossoms, so you can wear bright or pastel colours. To keep things looking classy, I do advise women to either wear a nice dress or nice pants and shirt. Men should wear dressy jeans or khakis and a nice button up shirt or polo shirt. If it’s a little cooler still, a nice jacket will do the trick to keep you warm and still look classy.
Summer Maternity Photos:
Summer offers so many beautiful backdrops and so many different colours for your maternity photos. You pretty much have the whole colour wheel to choose from for your maternity outfits. The only thing you need to think about in choosing your colour scheme is what your location backdrop looks like. If your location is light florals, choose either a complimentary colour or pastels to stay within the colour scheme. However, you don’t want to blend in with the location.
Fall Maternity Photos:
Fall is such a short time frame, but it is such a beautiful time to have outdoor maternity photos. The weather can either be quite warm or quite cool, so you need to dress accordingly. I advise for my maternity clients to layer up and/or wear pants with nice boots and a sweater or jacket. You can bring several outfits to change into to add variety to your photos. For fall, wear fall colours such as oranges, dark yellows, reds, green or browns. Black will also work too. Stay away from pinks and purples as they will tend to clash with the orange, yellow and red leaves.
Winter Maternity Photos in the Snow:
Portraits in the snow look like a winter wonderland. I try to shoot in weather no colder than -10ºC. Thus, I’m ok to reschedule if your scheduled session date is colder than that. I want my couples and myself to not be freezing our butts off while shooting in the cold. With that being said, I highly recommend for my couples to dress in layers for their winter photo session.
In conclusion, please, please, please steer clear of wearing a lot of white or cream colours. They blend in too much with the snow. For winter photos, you can pretty much wear any deep or dark coloured clothing as you will stand out against the snow. However, stay away dark green as you don’t want to blend in with the evergreens, which may be in the background of your photos. Bright colours, like reds, blues and purples stand out nicely against the snow and dark green pine trees. Cute dress coats add a nice winter accessory for your wardrobe.
Finally, if you’re going for something feminine, think of floral prints and/or long, flowing dresses. Pregnant women always look good in dresses.
My maternity photography has been featured on Little Peanut Magazine, I Heart Pregnancy, Inspire Blog, and Beauty & Lifestyle Mommy Magazine. You can check out my featured work. If you’re pregnant, I would love to photograph your outdoor maternity photo session in Ottawa or Gatineau. Contact me today to book your session.
Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter